harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zaki...@Intel.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] src/test side-by-side with vm and build?
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:46:48 GMT
Nathan Beyer wrote:
> We definitely need to do something. I spent the last few hours trying to
> build/add a "smoke test" for a patch [1] and have gotten absolutely no
> where. I had to change the "smoke.test.xml" file to compile against the JRE
> being built, so I could get it to compile, but after that I couldn't get it
> to PASS. I've given up for the moment. How do these tests work?

After you add the test into tests/smoke, you can just run
'build.bat test', and tests are compiled and run.
Some tests are skipped based on @keyword grepping, with
exclusion keywords being XXX, X_ia32, X_win etc.

> Can't I just create a JUnit TestCase, drop it into a test folder and have it
> run against the JRE that was built? The smoke tests just seem like an ad hoc
> JUnit framework. Do we need that?

I agree that we can replace smoke tests with junit tests now.

Smoke tests were very important at the initial stage of DRLVM development, because
- each test is a stand-alone program
- each test runs in a separate VM process
and thus they provided a environment

However, since DRLVM is now reasonably stable,
JUnit tests will serve just as well.