harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy, Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][luni] Problem with java.io.OutputStream
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 02:39:08 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> When looking at HARMONY-1156, it became clear that our
> java.io.OutputStream isn't right.
>
> I'd like to make the following changes :
>
> Follow the spec so that an IndexOOBE is thrown when :
>
> a) offset is negative or
> b) len is negative or
> c) off + len > buff.length
>
> So in the case of
>
>    write( byte[count], count, 0);
>
> for any value of count >= 0, then none of the conditions are true, and
> it should simply [quickly] return.
>
> Now, the spec says that if the array is null, then a NPE should be
> thrown, but this doesn't happen in the RI when len = 0.
>
> This seems to be a reasonable thing to do, and therefore I think that we
> should match the RI here, and not the spec.
>
> Comments?

Hi Geir,

    Sorry I don't catch well here. I write a test[1], extends
OutputStream and try passing a null byte and len = 0, RI and Harmony
both throw NPE(windows XP sp2, RI 1.5.06, the lastest Harmony,J9/DRLVM).

    And HARMONY-1156 only asks if given "write( byte[count], count, 0);"
the write operation quickly returns. And we see it is better to fix in
JNI, am I right?
    In fact, IMHO we are NOT breaking spec in return quickly as spec
does not tell clear what "indexes in the region is not valid"? :)

[1]
     public void  test_OutputStream () throws IOException {
         try {
             new MockOutputStream().write(null, 0, 0);
             fail("should throw NPE");
         } catch (NullPointerException e) {
             // expected
         }
     }

     class MockOutputStream extends OutputStream {

         public void write(int oneByte) throws IOException {
             throw new NotYetImplementedException();
         }
     }
> geir