harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][suncompat] created
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 17:57:21 GMT

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Oleg Khaschansky wrote:
>> Another solution is to create stubs which will throw exceptions with
>> detailed message. Then users will get neccessary information but
>> functionality won't be enabled by default.
>
> I'd like to inflict just a little bit of pain (but maybe that is my
> warped personality ;-) ).  If people have gone to the trouble of getting
> harmony to try it then expecting them to uncomment a line in the
> properties file as penance not unreasonable IMHO.

Why should there be penance for using Harmony?  We should be falling all
over ourselves at this point trying to get people working with it.

> So you may be onto something ... perhaps we also have an uncompat.jar
> included by default, that implements those types to always print out an
> impolite message on the console and quit:
>
> *** your app is rubbish, go to jre/lib/boot/bootclasspath.properties
> *** and uncomment this line...

I think that we can achieve both goals through inclusion to make things
"just work" as much as we can, and also very good documentation, FAQs,
support etc to make people aware and how to fix...

geir