harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject [general] *.boot.class.path propoerty setting (Was Re: [classlib] [ldap] support for multiple VMs?)
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:24:53 GMT
I was going to talk about the exact thing when I had a chance, so glad
you beat me to it.  I'm just changing the subject line so it's clearer.

Inline.

Alexey Varlamov wrote:
> A bit offttopic for this thread, but I'd like to discuss the following
> points for the boot.class.path property:
> 1) Whose responsibility is to set this property (launcher, VM or
> classlib)? Now we have at least 3 implementations:
>  a) readClassPathFromPropertiesFile() in
> classlib\modules\archive\src\main\native\archive\windows\jclglob_harmony.c
>  b) readClassPathFromPropertiesFile() in
> classlib\modules\luni\src\main\native\luni\shared\luniglob.c
>  c) load_full_api_files_path_names_list() in
> drlvm\vm\vmcore\src\init\properties.cpp
> BTW, the first 2 seems to be just copy-paste copies. I believe there
> should be just single agent doing this task, most natural candidate is
> shared VM launcher.

I also thought the launcher was the right place, but not so sure, as you
 wouldn't want to handcuff the VM implementations as to what kinds of
features they can add here.  Maybe VM launcher sets it originally, but
the VM is free to override?

> 2) Current parsers of the bootclasspath.properties are fragile in
> relation to format of this file: the file must end with line delimiter
> and must have strict platform line delimiters, otherwise jvm just
> hangs. Should I file new JIRA or this is intentional?

Please file a JIRA.  Hanging can never be intentional.  :)

geir