harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][suncompat] created
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:06:59 GMT

Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> If we do not include suncompat.jar into classpath at compile
> time, rather than runtime, then the users will get
> the feedback at approprate moment of time.
>
> So, I would suggest
> + include suncompat.jar to runtime classpath by default
> - do *not* include suncompat.jar to compile-time classpath by default

That's a very nice solution.  None of the arguments have swayed me about
not having it at runtime because while I agree that it's bad practice,
our biggest interest *at this time* is to get users, because users are
going to be an enormous help in finding bugs, prioritizing what we are
working on, etc.  And removing every speedbump in the road to using
harmony is going to help that.

We will be in a great position to help people stop this misbehavior, as
*when they are interested*, they can simply remove suncompat easily and
quickly due to our great modularity...

I think we can use this problem to our advantage...

geir