harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] [ldap] support for multiple VMs?
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:51:10 GMT
Daniel Gandara wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are working on the javax.naming.ldap and we are facing the
> following issue when thinking about supporting multiple VMs.
> Following the SPEC there is a method createExtendedResponse in the
> StartTlsRequest class which states that the returning object must be
> an instance of a concrete subclass of StartTlsResponse and must have
> a public zero-argument constructor. The concrete subclass is
> determined by reading the configuration file located in
> META-INF/services/javax.naming.ldap.StartTlsResponse (see
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/javax/naming/ldap/StartTlsRequest.html)
>
> The search for this configuration file is done by looking in the
> classpath, java.home and user.dir; also the Xbootclasspath should be
> inspected, and that seems to be a problematic situation, since there
> is not a standard property to look for its value. Different VM
> implementations have different property names for the boot class path
> value. In the old Harmony VM implementation was
> com.ibm.oti.system.class.path; in the new one is
> org.apache.harmony.boot.class. The property name in the Sun's VM is
> sun.boot.class.path. We are wondering which property name to use in
> the code. At first sight the Harmony new VM implementation property
> seems to be the better option, but maybe looking for the other
> properties will be interesting for compatibility purposes.
>
> We would be very interested in opinions.

I'd ignore the com.ibm property and look through the path defined by
org.apache.harmony.boot.class.path

I don't know what property is set by the DRLVM / JCHEVM / etc., but it
would be good if they set the same property (maybe in addition to their
current property).

If you want the code to run on the Sun implementation too then you
should *also* search the sun.boot.class.path, and of course be tolerant
of o.a.harmony... or sun.boot... being absent.  Is running on Sun a goal
for you?  It's not something that we would require for including the
LDAP code in Harmony.

Regards,
Tim

--