harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: BASE64Encoder class missing?
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:49:59 GMT

Alex Blewitt wrote:
>> Anthony Green wrote:
>> >
>> > This way lies madness.  I urge you to take a strong stand against bad
>> > applications.
>>
>> Oh, don't get me wrong - we really want to.  But we want adoption of the
>> harmony codebase as well.  We think that we have a reasonable balance -
>> provide the functionality in an separable, modular way at first to make
>> it easy for people to try and adopt harmony.
>
> May I suggest that we try and:
>
> 1) Make available a suncompat.jar, which re-writes calls to o.a.h or
> similar (or subclasses them ...)
> 2) Explicitly don't make it part of the default classpath ala
> 'tools.jar' in the standard Sun implementation when running HarmonyVM
> code
> 3) Put up a FAQ saying that 'If you depend on e.g. sun.*, stick the
> suncompat in the classpath'
>
> That way, out-of-the-box we don't have it, but there's an easy fix for
> people who trip up over it. However, if people just need to get it
> running, then they have a trivial workaround that doesn't involve
> changing their code.
>
> The same could also be provided for code that depends on sun.JavaC or
> whatever ...

I still think we should - for now - include suncompat.jar by default,
because we generally only get one first impression with people, and when
people's programs break on harmony - *even if it's their fault* -
there's reasonable chance that people will not look closely, decide it's
our fault, and move on.

I think that we need to take a 'soft' and supportive approach here...

geir