harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: BASE64Encoder class missing?
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:27:42 GMT
Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> The problem is Base64 functionality is unavailable through the
> standard API, so people have a choice either use unportable sun.*,
> o.a.h.*, etc or create the coder from scratch

Understood, I think people are 'driven' to using the non-API types
though necessity rather than doing so by mistake.

> Alternative to suncompat is separating all similar functionality into
> a separate redistributable module that would be runnable on RI, so
> that people could use it in their apps.

If we could get people to change their apps then I would agree.  In fact
I would expect that most of the non-API functionality in common usage is
already available elsewhere there if apps wanted to change (well, maybe
not Unsafe, but...).

But we are trying to fix it on the Harmony side.

I'll go ahead an put in the suncompat module, but don't let that be the
end of the debate -- it is trivial to add it and I have no qualms about
removing it later if that's what we choose to do.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)