harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: BASE64Encoder class missing?
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 01:31:05 GMT

Anthony Green wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 17:58 -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Yes- the idea is to provide that "suncompat.jar" for that reason with
>> those clases in the sun.* namespace that user apps depend on.
>
> This way lies madness.  I urge you to take a strong stand against bad
> applications.

Oh, don't get me wrong - we really want to.  But we want adoption of the
harmony codebase as well.  We think that we have a reasonable balance -
provide the functionality in an separable, modular way at first to make
it easy for people to try and adopt harmony.

At the same time, since the API is completely optional, educate people
on how to ensure they have portable java code (remove the suncompat.jar
and restart your program...)

Then, when we have enough momentum, we deprecate it out of a release.

> Experience tells us that application developers are happy to fix their
> programs once made aware of this issue.

But there's a lag - sure, they want to fix it, but there might be a
dependency (like whatever this servlet engine is...) that is out of
their control.

> GNU Classpath users have
> already paved the way with the developers of many popular programs and
> libraries (Eclipse, OpenOffice.org, Azureus, a lot of Apache code like
> Batik and Tomcat, etc).  This is the only solution that makes sense for
> users and developers.

Well, I certainly agree that getting this practice out of the ecosystem
is the only sane way to go, but I think there is space for reasonable
differences of opinion on how to get there.  Remember, we're still
catching up to you :)

geir