harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [general] platform support
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 17:01:47 GMT

Oleg Khaschansky wrote:
>> The right way
>> to do this would be to have different code bases and different
>> distributions
>> for W2K and WinXP.
>
> Having different codebases is far worse, this implies separate test
> suites, increased complexity of the build system and other bad things.
> It would be better to avoid this if possible.

If you are going ot claim that you support a given platform, you better
test on that platform.  I agree that separate codebases have problematic
aspects (such as ensuring that bugs are fixed in all codebases for a
given version).

I'll argue again that will help this conversation is a techincal
discussion about what in DRLVM is winXP specific, what the alternatives
are, and what the costs are.

Geir