harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] platform support
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:17:57 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Tim Ellison wrote:
>> Maybe I'm missing something here, but we 'support' what ever code we
>> have in our SVN.  If somebody wants to work on the code to make it good
>> for W2K, or Win95, or WinCE ... then why not?  Would we really say 'no'?
>>
>> I agree that we may have more than one binary snapshot/release for
>> different Windows versions -- but it is one code base, one
>> configure/make build, etc.
>>
>> So the question is: should we aim to have a single binary that works on
>> W2K PIII /and/ WinXP IPF ?
>
> That's a different question, isn't it?

Yes, it is the question you also pose elsewhere -- can we have a binary
that either (a) uses the lowest common denominator of the different
windows platforms API without incurring an undue penalty performance, or
(b) performs runtime checks and picks the best available APIs.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)