harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][summary] Exception throwing compatibility
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 09:12:29 GMT
Andrew Zhang wrote:
> "But there are some cases that RI throws an implementation specific
> exception, we shall throw its public superclass. e.g., If RI throws
> sun.io.MalformedInputException, we shall throw
> java.io.CharConversionException. "
>
> I think it's OK to throw Harmony-implement subclass of the public
> superclass
> for some cases? Do you think so?

I agree.  In fact it says that in the preceding paragraph:

"Harmony class library code should throw exceptions of the same runtime
class (or a subtype of that runtime class) as the RI, other than in
cases where the RI throws non-public types whereupon Harmony will throw
an exception with the same public supertype."

[I'd replace 'should throw' with 'throws' though]

Regards,
Tim

> On 8/9/06, Richard Liang <richard.liangyx@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I'd like to update our "Exception-throwing compatibility"[1] to reflect
>> our discussion in several threads recently. I just created a wiki page
>> here[2], please kindly comment or update the wiki page directly. If
>> there is no objection, I will provide a patch for
>> site/xdocs/subcomponents/classlibrary/compat.xml
>>
>> Thanks a lot.
>>
>> [1]
>> http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/compat.html
>>
>> [2] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Exception-throwing_compatibility