harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] contribution of Java management console
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 08:50:40 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> Alexei Zakharov wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Sorry for disturbing you again :) but I'd like to announce another
>>> code contribution on behalf of Intel. This the independent
>>> implementation of Java management console. RI has a built-in console
>>> called "jconsole" [1]. BEA has proprietary "JRockit Management
>
>> Awesome!!! I love it. An eclipse plugin makes *way* more sense than
>> separate swing app.
>
> I have to admit I don't understand that logic completely.  I can run a
> swing app if I have java.  For an eclipse plug in I need eclipse too..
> .anyway, I'm really happy this made it here too.

Firstly, hurray for the contribution, thanks Alexei!

Using Eclipse means that we don't have to write all the infrastructure
for our UI tooling.  Eclipse RCP is only about 6Mb on disk (incl. the
core and UI parts)

>> Now I wonder, should this be shipped with harmony or should we make it
>> available as another tool?
>>
>> Either way, I'm already +1 on accepting the patch because it would boost
>> the work on the java.lang.management.
>>
>> Since this tool is dependent on nothing that is harmony specific, I
>> think it might be worthwhile starting up as a separate subproject
>> supervised by harmony... but I'm not sure this is kosher with the
>> current incubation guidelines.
>
> For now, I think the prudent thing is to just get it into SVN, make it
> clear how to use it, and answer this question in a few months time.

Agreed, get it in and ensure that we don't add anything
Harmony-JRE-impl-specific.

Regards,
Tim

--