harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [general] contribution of Java management console
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 15:41:03 GMT
Alexei Zakharov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for disturbing you again :) but I'd like to announce another
> code contribution on behalf of Intel. This the independent
> implementation of Java management console. RI has a built-in console
> called "jconsole" [1]. BEA has proprietary "JRockit Management
> Console" that is distributed along with BEA JDK [2]. One of the most
> common purposes of these tools is to provide real-time information
> about various Java VM resources and be able to manage them at
> run-time.
>
> It will be nice if Harmony could have its own management console.
> However, the developed console is simpler than the consoles mentioned
> above and doesn't have such a well polished graphical interface. It
> uses SWT graphical library and can be used as a plugin for Eclipse as
> well as a standalone SWT application. The console provides
> capabilities for managing of systems that expose JMX-compliant
> management interface. This includes Sun VM, BEA VM, J2EE servers and
> etc.  The bad news here is that currently it cannot be used for
> Harmony VM management since we do not have the implementation for
> java.lang.management package in Harmony yet. But I hope we will have
> some day.
>
> The contribution bundle can be found at:
>
> If you have any question please contact me, I will try to answer.
>
> [1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/jconsole.html
> [2] http://e-docs.bea.com/wljrockit/docs50/usingJMC/monitoring.html#1035332

Awesome!!! I love it. An eclipse plugin makes *way* more sense than
separate swing app.

Now I wonder, should this be shipped with harmony or should we make it
available as another tool?

Either way, I'm already +1 on accepting the patch because it would boost
the work on the java.lang.management.

Since this tool is dependent on nothing that is harmony specific, I
think it might be worthwhile starting up as a separate subproject
supervised by harmony... but I'm not sure this is kosher with the
current incubation guidelines.

Comments?

--
Stefano.