harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy, Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][Instrument] Documents for non-unit-tests (was Re:[classlib] Plan on work on java.lang.instrument)
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 09:02:07 GMT
Stepan Mishura wrote:
> On 8/7/06, *Jimmy, Jing Lv*  wrote:
>
>     <SNIP>
>     Sounds pretty good :)
>     "exec" do helps, it can check simple situations.
>     What I'm concern is that if the return code is not enough for some
>     situations, e.g, what exception is thrown exactly, or what cause VM exit
>     abnormally. IMHO, it is still necessary for us.
>

> Hi Jimmy,
>
> See attached test. It demonstrates VM forking. The test saves VM
> output and prints it in the end.
> So I expect that unit tests for 'instrument' module can do the same:
> fork VM with predefined args, save output and compare it with expected
> output.
>
> BWT, we have utility class[1] in 'support' for this task. It makes sense
> to improve it for our needs.
>
> Thanks,
> Stepan.

Thanks Stepan, this is very attractive to me :)

According to your approach, I believe now it can be automatized well, at
least for many test.

One concern from me is that, how do you handle output comparison? For an
example, if VM halt with a exception, it output some message, so you get
the output, find the exception name in it? And what can we do if it
output some information only, which RI and Harmony may not appear the same?

However this is a good idea, if no objections, I shall follow this
approach in writing some test of instrument.

)
>      >> >>>>
>      >> >>>>     Any suggestions?  :)
>      >> >>>>
>      >> >>>> [1]http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/INSTRUMENT
>      >> >>>>
>      >> >>>>> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>      >> >>>>> Never appeal to me using a Wiki as an authority :)
 It's like
>      >> finding
>      >> >>>>> something written in chalk on the sidewalk.
>      >> >>>>>
>      >> >>>>> However, if you had pointed out
>      >> >>>>>
>      >>
>      >>>>>    http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/auth_cont_quest.html
>     <http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/auth_cont_quest.html>
>      >> >>>>>
>      >> >>>>> I'd have agreed w/o having the opportunity to make
fun of
>     the Wiki.
>      >> >>>>>
>      >> >>>>> So I agree :)
>      >> >>>>>
>      >> >>>>> geir
>

> --
> Thanks,
> Stepan Mishura
> Intel Middleware Products Division

> import java.io.*;
>
> public class test {
>
>     public static void main(String []av) throws Exception {
>         Runtime r = Runtime.getRuntime();
>
>         String[] args = new String[3];
>
>         args[0] = System.getProperty("java.home") + "/bin/java";
>         args[1] = "-showversion";
>         args[2] = "NoSuchClass";
>
>         Process proc = r.exec(args);
>
>         MyReader err = new MyReader(proc.getErrorStream());
>         MyReader out = new MyReader(proc.getInputStream());
>
>         new Thread(err).start();
>         new Thread(out).start();
>
>         int status = proc.waitFor();
>
>         System.out.println("======OUT=========");
>         System.out.println(out.out.toString());
>         System.out.println("======ERR=========");
>         System.out.println(err.out.toString());
>         System.out.println("======EXIT=========");
>         System.out.println(status);
>
>     }
> }
>
> class MyReader implements Runnable{
>
>     InputStream in;
>     ByteArrayOutputStream out = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
>
>     public MyReader(InputStream in){
>         this.in = in;
>     }
>
>     public void run() {
>         try {
>             for (int b = in.read(); b != -1; b = in.read()) {
>                 out.write(b);
>             }
>         } catch (IOException e) {
>             e.printStackTrace();