harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject New IBM VME available soon
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 15:35:24 GMT
Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce that a new 5.0 level IBM VME will be made
available soon at:
  http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/harmony/index.html

The new VME downloads are named Harmony-vme-win.IA32-v4.zip and
Harmony-vme-linux.IA32-v4.tar.gz. I would like to stress that if you
download these packages now, they will *not* work with the class library
code currently in Harmony Subversion. I have created a new JIRA
(HARMONY-1084) containing patches for Harmony classlib and  the Eclipse
Harmony plugin which are required to be able to use the new VME. The
patches make the following changes:
 - Change Java build target from jsr14 to 1.5 :)
 - Change the bootclasspath system property name from
com.ibm.oti.system.class.path to org.apache.harmony.boot.class.path
 - Create a new org.apache.harmony.luni.platform.Environment class that
contains two (currently stubbed) getenv() methods. Once these methods
are implemented, VM writers will be able to redirect System.getenv()
calls to this class.
 - Rename clearvm.dll/libclearvm.so to harmonyvm.dll/libharmonyvm.so,
and update the launchers reference to this library.
 - Rename clearvm.properties to harmonyvm.properties, and update the
Eclipse plugin to find this file.
 - Update tests.api.java.lang.reflect.ArrayTest and
tests.api.java.lang.ThreadGroupTest to reflect changes between 1.4 and
5.0 behaviour.

Once the classlib patch has been applied, you will need to download the
new VME in order to continue developing with the IBM VM. The previous
version of the VME will no longer be compatible.

I will send out a further mail when the new VME is available to download
and use.

Regards,
Oliver

--