harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy, Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][Instrument] Documents for non-unit-tests (was Re:[classlib] Plan on work on java.lang.instrument)
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 02:57:50 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Jimmy, Jing Lv wrote:
>> Richard Liang wrote:

>>> Do you mean it's hard to *write* unit test or it's hard to integrate
>>> the tests with Harmony build system?
>>>
>> Hard to write unit test, so record them in some document may be a better
>> way :)
>
> Why is it hard to create unit tests?

To test java.lang.instrument, mostly we need to start up a new VM to see
its behavior. Its function(premain, etc) may be run before most classes
loaded, and almost all exceptions will cause VM abort. And the result is
hard to be checked automatic. What's more, extra java/c code is needed
for the test.

One thought was that we can use exec("java commands") in junit(is that
OK to run exec in tests?), but how to check its output is still a problem.

I'll put unit test if any, but I believe most necessary and important
tests are non-unit tests.

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv
China Software Development Lab, IBM