harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Assorted bug fixes descriptions lost
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2006 14:58:38 GMT

Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> I responded but it was rejected due to size...
>>
>> Nothing was lost, as the comments are in JIRA.  I wanted to get the
>> commit to be atomic, as we were accepting a single contribution.
>
> Ah, okay, this explains a lot.
> But then, any bulk contribution will look like a ... "bulk",
> even if the information about invidual changes is readily available.

Yes.  I learned this lesson a long time ago - the bulks get committed in
one shot, so that if there's some question later about provenance, there
is one single commit where the questionable code entered the repository.

> As for looking up this information in JIRA, I hardly believe anyone
> will ever find it there, because it involves too many steps;
> * find HARMONY-XYZ in commit comment
> * open browser and find the issue (it may take up to minute on my machine...)
> * read the comments, and understand that the changes are attached in zip file
>   (yes, I think this step also takes some time)
> * download the zip file, and see that there are >30 changes in there
> * look through / grep the patches for the change in question
>   (this can take different amount of time depending on the person)
> * and finally, read the comments that the original author put there
>
> To me personally, the information about individual changes is more valuable
> than atomicity of contribution acceptance.

Not to me :)  It doesn't mean that they are orthogonal.  Had I seen a
neat and clean summary of the changes, I would have committed that,
probably.  Next time.

geir