harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [performance] performance measurement of HDK
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2006 11:35:02 GMT

Vladimir Strigun wrote:

>> > Telco - this one mostly stresses BigInteger/BigDecimal functionality
>> > GcOld - the purpose of this one is clear from the name :)
>> > SciMark - java benchmark for scientific and numerical computing
>> > Linpack java - well-known benchmark solving linear equations The
>> > Plasma Benchmark - creates an animated display by continuously summing
>> > four sine waves in an applet
>> > JavaWorld Benchmark - benchmark for low-level operations: loops,
>> > accessing variables, method invocation, arithmetic operators, casting,
>> > instantiation, exception handling, thread creation and switching.
>> > CaffeineMark 3.0 - low-level benchmark suite, including sieve of
>> > Eratosthenes, sorting, logic ops, method invocation, floating point,
>> > simple graphics and GUI ops
>> > JavaGrande benchmark suite - a set of benchmarks stressing different
>> > areas of java.
>>
>> These are good.  I it would be nice to just hook them into the
>> build-test framework as optional parts.
>
> I'll try to hook them into build-test framework. Do you think that all
> of them should be added to the framework? I suppose benchmarks should
> be downloaded the same way as other dependencies in Harmony?

Well, I myself tend to try to get things working simply, and then
"enhance the experience".

So I think that as an example, getting the JavaWorld (or whatever)
working as an optional thing for the CI - which would simply be an ant
script - first would be cool, where the user has to go get the thing
him/herself, and then if we like it, we can automate the fech. (But yes,
automating the fetch would be cool...

But this sounds good.  I'm going to go get the JavaWorld one since I've
never heard of it and wonder how up-to-date it is.

geir