harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Zakharov" <alexei.zakha...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][beans] RI violates the spec in the Statement class
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 13:16:44 GMT
Hi community,

I'd like to attract everyone's attention to another RI inconsistence.
It seems RI has a bug in the implementation of execute() method of the
java.beans.Statement class. The spec states:

1. "When the target's class defines many methods with the given name
the implementation should choose the most specific method using the
algorithm specified in the Java Language Specification (15.11)."
2. "The reserved method name "new" may be used to call a class's
constructor as if all classes defined static "new" methods."

But the following test shows that RI does not follow these rules –
does not choose the most specific method:

import java.beans.*;

public class StatementTest {

    public static class MyBean {
        static String calledM = null;

        public MyBean(Object arg) {
            calledM = "new1";
        }

        public MyBean(Integer arg) {
            calledM = "new2";
        }

    }

    public static void main(String argv[]) throws Exception {
        Statement stmt = new Statement(MyBean.class, "new",
                new Object[] { new Integer(17) });

        stmt.execute();
        if (!MyBean.calledM.equals("new2")) {
            System.out.println("FAIL");
        } else {
            System.out.println("PASS");
        }
    }

}

The result is "FAIL" on RI. However, it behaves correctly for regular
methods (that aren't constructors). I think I should post "Non-bug
differences from RI" JIRA. I am also going to correct our
implementation of Statement since it is now "compatible" with RI. Any
objections?

Thanks,

--
Alexei Zakharov,