harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ivan Volosyuk" <ivan.volos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM][VM] -- which header bits are available for GC mark and GC forwarding use?
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:10:42 GMT
Weldon, look at the patch in http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-1269.
I have already done this work. After the patch you have whole lowest
byte + 2 bits in the second byte for GC use; in expense of
implementing hashcode by GC.

In my understanding the hashcode can be reduced to 2 status bits in object info:
  00. hashcode is not set
  01. hashcode is set (hashcode is the address of object)
  11. hashcode is set and object is moved (hashcode is no longer the
address of object)

This layout require assistance from GC (which is missing in GC_V4).

I suggest using interface function: gc_get_hashcode() in GC-to-VM
interface which will know exactly the layout of bits in the lowest
byte of hashcode and will do all the needed actions depending on the
GC implementation.
--
Regards,
Ivan