harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cordova" <martin.cord...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: BASE64Encoder class missing?
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:59:07 GMT
For this specific case, I found this code for Base64, which claims to
be very fast and very compact:

* http://migbase64.sourceforge.net/

Just a single class that I repackaged in my own namespaces, and
changed one line of code to remove my dependency on sun.* - now I can
run on Harmony.

I think that providing some alerts about this dependency on Harmony
website, explaining the problem (as the Sun article I posted before
does) and suggesting some alternatives like migBase64, will help
newcomers to understand how easy to overcome the dependency is, and
motivate them to do so.

Regards,
Martin

> Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> > The problem is Base64 functionality is unavailable through the
> > standard API, so people have a choice either use unportable sun.*,
> > o.a.h.*, etc or create the coder from scratch
>
> Understood, I think people are 'driven' to using the non-API types
> though necessity rather than doing so by mistake.
>
> > Alternative to suncompat is separating all similar functionality into
> > a separate redistributable module that would be runnable on RI, so
> > that people could use it in their apps.
>
> If we could get people to change their apps then I would agree.  In fact
> I would expect that most of the non-API functionality in common usage is
> already available elsewhere there if apps wanted to change (well, maybe
> not Unsafe, but...).
>
> But we are trying to fix it on the Harmony side.
>
> I'll go ahead an put in the suncompat module, but don't let that be the
> end of the debate -- it is trivial to add it and I have no qualms about
> removing it later if that's what we choose to do.
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>
> --
>
> Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)