harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Gandara" <danielgand...@neosur.com>
Subject [classlib] [ldap] support for multiple VMs?
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:48:41 GMT
Hi all,

    We are working on the javax.naming.ldap and we are facing the following issue when thinking
about supporting multiple VMs.
Following the SPEC there is a method createExtendedResponse in the StartTlsRequest class which
states that the returning object must be an instance of a concrete subclass of StartTlsResponse
and must have a public zero-argument constructor.   The concrete subclass is determined by
reading the configuration file located in META-INF/services/javax.naming.ldap.StartTlsResponse
(see http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/javax/naming/ldap/StartTlsRequest.html)

The search for this configuration file is done by looking in the classpath, java.home and
user.dir; also the Xbootclasspath should be inspected, and that seems to be a problematic
situation, since there is not a standard property to look for its value.   Different VM implementations
have different property names for the boot class path value.  In the old Harmony VM implementation
was com.ibm.oti.system.class.path; in the new one is org.apache.harmony.boot.class. The property
name in the Sun's VM is sun.boot.class.path.
We are wondering which property name to use in the code.  At first sight the Harmony new VM
implementation property seems to be the better option, but maybe looking for the other properties
will be interesting for compatibility purposes.

We would be very interested in opinions.

Thanks,

Daniel