harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Stack Overflow Error support issues
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2006 08:35:42 GMT
On the 0x1B2 day of Apache Harmony Weldon Washburn wrote:
> Stack Overflow Exception handling needs to be good enough for
> commercial workloads.  This might be less than required for absolute
> correctness.  The approach I would take at this time is to make stack
> size and guard page size adjustable at the command line.  Then when we
> suspect a stack overflow problem, bump up the stack and guard page
> sizes substantially.  If the problem disappears, we might have an
> interesting SOE case to study (and to guide what a reasonable JVM
> should do.)  Otherwise, we are designing for the absolute worst case.
> While this is ideal, it might not be required and could lead to all
> sorts of other problems like unmaintainable code...

It reminds me of one usecase, when a 'maybe-commercial' server running
a JVM accepts deployments of JAR files and cannot predict what users
deploy. So, not-to-crash on SOE is a matter of security for the
server. And this is really important to eliminate this
vulnerability. Readjusting stack size does not work here.

What can we do to simplify things? I have no idea currently :(