harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: performance of drlvm
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:06:52 GMT
On 7/27/06, zouqiong <ustczz@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is AFIK?

(AFAIK=as far as I know)

I want to use oprofile, or if you give better advice.
> And the os is linux.

You can use OProfile for your internal needs but it has GPL license so I'm
not sure it can be a part of Harmony which uses much less restrictive Apache
license. Let's get a break to look through the current state of performance
monitoring libraries, their OS/CPU compatibilities and licenses.

I  haven`t decide how to use cache-miss information,  if i hava a creative
> idea, of course,
> i will use my own.

I think that  the optimization algorithm must be selected first. You can
collect cache miss information manually (using any tool you have) and feed
the profile to a JIT. So PMU library just a tool and could be easily
added/replaced, IMHO the goal is optimization algorithm.

What research do you focus on? Dynamic Optimization? Have you any idea about
> it?

Yes, DPGO is one of the subjects I'm really interested in. There are a lot
of ideas of how to profile and how to use the information, but I'm afraid I
have no time try them all alone. So I've said I'm interested to help you in
your project, but not to lead it.

Mikhail Fursov