harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: performance of drlvm
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 08:15:59 GMT
On 7/27/06, zouqiong <ustczz@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am very happy to know a person who has a common goal with me :-)
>
> en, my research focus on how to get more useful information to guide
> compile
> thread
> and garbage collector to optimize the data locality and code quality, and
> my
> interest
> is how to use performance monitor to get profile , and i think few vitural
> machine use the performance monitor to guide code optimization automatic.
> Of
> course, many paper
> use PMU to guide the analysis.

AFAIK to share  PMU  between multiple VM instances you have to apply a patch
to a Linux kernel. I do not know if there is such a patch for Windows, but
it's still possible to run and test only one VM instance.

What performance monitoring library and OS do you prefer to use? I think it
worth to be done for both Linux and Windows if possible.
The second question is about optimization technique of how to use cache-miss
information from PMU. Do you want to use some algorithm that is already
described in papers or have your own?

--
Mikhail Fursov