harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] Cleaning insides of Class.h header
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:18:14 GMT
On 7/24/06, Pavel Pervov <pmcfirst@gmail.com> wrote:

> Michail,
>
> If some component external to VM core has direct access to class.h, this
> should be eliminated shortly. AFAIU, there are none such components.

Yes there are no such components, JIT uses 'vm.h' file to access class or
methods information.
But 'vm.h' functions use class.h functionality in their implementation.

Answering your questions:
> 1) It is possible to traverse class hierarchy downward using available
> specialized interfaces. It is also possible to traverse class hierarchy
> upward by asking direct super class of any class you have. The only
> impossible thing to do is to traverse one level of class hierarchy in both
> directions. Do you really want to do the thing?

2) AFAIU, it is also available in the interface.

Do you mean this method?

// Initializes the CHA_Method_Iterator, to iterate over all methods that
// match the method signature and descend from root_class (including
root_class itself).
// Returns TRUE if iteration is supported over root_class, FALSE if not.
VMEXPORT Boolean method_iterator_initialize(ChaMethodIterator*,
Method_Handle method, Class_Handle root_class);

I'm afraid this will not work, let's check the example:

class A {
  void foo(){}
}
class B extends A {
  void foo(){}
}
class C extends B {
  void foo(){}
}

In runtime I can have a handle of B::foo() and want to get all method
incarnations: A::foo(), B::foo(), C::foo().
What is the best way to get them all?

--
Mikhail Fursov