harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Boris Kuznetsov" <boris.v.kuznet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] choose one [x-net] || [security] for HARMONY-536 (JSSE provider)
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 07:41:09 GMT
Quotation from JavaTM Cryptography Architecture
API Specification & Reference
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/security/CryptoSpec.html#KeyManagement

"It implements the keystore as a file, using a proprietary keystore
type (format) named "JKS"."

> Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> > A long ago we agreed that providers go into a separate module. But
> > now I think it's might be not very reasonable.
>
> Well, if it gets to be an issue, we can switch.  Do you remember the
> reasons?
>

> > Sun keeps certificates in its own proprietary format (JKS), while we have
> > BKS from Bouncy Castle, so files will have to be converted. I can do this
> > next week
>
> It's proprietary?  Grrr.  I would be nice if people could use their
> existing root cert stores w/ us.  You sure?  :)
>

> > Thanks,
> > Mikhail

> >> not,
> >> anyway :)

> >> Of course.  Something was going to get moved, just wanted to see any
> >> other opinions..

> >> the
> >> (It's
> >> deities are
> >> our

> >> I didn't think so.  I thought that they gave the root certs away because
> >>  the value of a cert provider is directly proportional to the amount of
> >> software out there that can understand it's certs...

Best regards,
Boris Kuznetsov
Intel Middleware Products Division