harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Miguel Montes" <miguel.mon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][html] Should we try to be binary compatible with Sun's bdtd?
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:53:25 GMT
On 7/26/06, Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
> Miguel Montes wrote:
> > The method is public, so anyone can use it to read his own DTD.
> Wait, what method are we talking about?

The method read(DataInputStream). It's poorly  documented, but it reads a
DTD in an unspecified binary format. The default DTD is stored in this
format in a file named html32.bdtd (or html401.bdtd, in the case of the
recent contribution).
As Alexey pointed out, there is no method to write a DTD, so maybe nobody
uses the method read() anyway. But I see no point in having a public method
that nobody can use. So I think we can:
1) Ask Sun to release the specification (if there is one)
2) Figure it out, and document it
3) Release our own specification