harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Dmitry M. Kononov" <dmitry.m.kono...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][tools] Should launcher pass the required jars to JVM's class path automatically?
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:31:46 GMT
Hi,

I've developed a tool (it's a replacement of javah for Harmony) that
depends on BCEL. I've found a way how it can be integrated into the
current build system, so it compiles successfully. The compiled
classes are placed into the deploy\jdk\lib\tools.jar. bcel-5.0.jar is
copied into the deploy\jdk\lib directory. So the build works and
results look as expected.

I do the following to run the tool (whose name is ijh at the moment).

1.copy deploy\jdk\jre\bin\java.exe to deploy\jdk\jre\bin\ijh.exe
2.copy deploy\jdk\lib\tools.jar into deploy\jdk\jre\bin\
3.copy deploy\jdk\lib\bcel-5.0.jar into deploy\jdk\jre\bin\
4.run ijh.exe

And see the usage info of the tool. This means that the launcher finds
appropriate classes of tools.jar successfully. Cool.

But if I run ijh.exe with a class as an argument (bcel's classes are
required in this case) as follows:

ijh.exe Test01

JVM can't find bcel's classes. So it looks like I have to provide the
correct class path which includes bcel-5.0.jar. Ok.
To do so I run the tool in this way:

ijh.exe -J-cp bcel-5.0.jar;. Test01

This works. But the problem is that it's a bad approach to pass all
the required jars in a command line.
It would be better if the launcher adds bcel-5.0.jar to the class path
for the ijh tool in some automatic manner.

Could you please explain me what is the correct way to solve this problem?

Thanks.
--
Dmitry M. Kononov
Intel Managed Runtime Division