harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Loenko" <mloe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: [classlib] TwoKeyHashMap
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:00:22 GMT
If I understood you idea correctly, that would be thread-unsafe

In general before we get rid of that class or decide to keep it, I think
we should work out an approach to performance optimizations.

It's a rare case when perofmance might be significantly improved for free,
a regular price is: additional complexity, more code, lack of readability,
additional memory footprint etc.

Performnace optimization is not only looking for hotspots and tuning them
but also a hard everyday work on tuning just a regular stuff.
Though at the same time we can't afford megabytes of code that is a perofomace
optimization for a single never-used scenario

We develop a system, rather than a regular application and different users
will run different apps on it. That is why users may have hotspots differ from
those that we can find with benchmarks we can have.

So let's discuss how we approach performance in general and that return to
this specific class.

Thanks,
Mikhail