harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ivanov, Alexey A" <alexey.a.iva...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [classlib][html] Should we try to be binary compatible with Sun's bdtd?
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 07:45:12 GMT

<SNIP>
>> The method read(DataInputStream). It's poorly  documented, but it
reads a
>> DTD in an unspecified binary format. The default DTD is stored in
this
>> format in a file named html32.bdtd (or html401.bdtd, in the case of
the
>> recent contribution).

This method seems to be undocumented at all until people asked for it
[1].

>> As Alexey pointed out, there is no method to write a DTD, so maybe
nobody
>> uses the method read() anyway. But I see no point in having a public
>method
>> that nobody can use. So I think we can:
>> 1) Ask Sun to release the specification (if there is one)

We should try this once more (The first attempt was made in [1]).

>> or
>> 2) Figure it out, and document it
>> or
>> 3) Release our own specification

Maybe specification is not the right word here. I believe we _can_
document which format we use. So that anyone can prepare their own
archive file with DTD, read it using jx.s.t.html.parser.DTD.read, pass
it to parser.

>since the method is public and part of javax.swing, we need to
implement
>it, but this looks like a mistake or an overlook (and there are no
swing
>tests in the TCK anyway so we can do whatever we please).

It is not the only place where a public method is present, but it has no
use because of lack of documentation.

>I think it's safe to try #1 and #2 in parallel with different people.
>Geir can do #1 while you can do #2.
>
>/me loves to delegate ;-) (aka lazy ass mode)
>
>I would suggest against #3: specifications are something that we are
not
>tasked to do (even to compensate lack of such), as it might deliver the
>wrong message.

[1] http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4216248

Regards,

--