harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Strategy for Harmony to work with Visual Studio 2005?
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:58:22 GMT

> I think the key reason is that this is non-standard stuff from
> microsoft's for-fee toolchain, and people in OSS try to avoid having a
> dependency on that.
>
> I wouldn't mind supporting this at some point a) once it becomes a
> standard and b) has broad acceptance, but I'm guessing that's going to
> take years.
>
> People who have used the free version of MSFT tools seem to just set the
> flag as you note.

Honestly that seems like the best approach to me.  Otherwise, you'll
get tons of warnings from code that's intended to be portable across C
compilers, which can't possibly be expected to switch to the
microsoft-only APIs.  Switching to the microsoft-only APIs inside of
specialized parts of the tree that are only used on windows is one
thing, but even then I'd advise against it since it ties you too
closely to their toolchain.

-garrett