harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Pavel Afremov" <pavel.n.afre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Stack Overflow Error support issues
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:58:17 GMT
Hello

Sorry for late replay. It was very nice weekend for me :)

>   - I could not get the  unwind failure that you have mentioned (with
>   the overflow happening in the first two lines) though I played around
> with
>   the test, but that may depend on what the specific setup of the stack is
> at
>   that point?

I rebase and recompile my version of DRLVM. And I can't reproduce it too.

On my previous version some magic was required to reproduce it. I added

several variables into main functions and into function "func". This "magic"

 was different for different build and should be tuned after a small changes

in VM code. Now I can't reproduce it using this magic.

>   - But I also saw that you fail the JIT if you don't have 256 K of free
>   stack space. The default Windows stack size is only 1 MB. Do we need to
> fail
>   a compile of 10 lines of bytecode if we don't have 1/4 of the stack
>   available? Maybe this can be less strict, or some heuristic based on
> method
>   size? What do you think  about this?

Yes it's 1/4 of the stack. But in my test current implementation provide
recursion
with depth = 704220. Is more deep reqursion required anywhere? I think its
very
unlikely .

In any case if more deep recursion will be required in the future, we can
tune thread
stack size for windows build.

Thanks.
Pavel Afremov