harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Vladimir Ivanov" <ivavladi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [testing] Peace (was: Re: svn commit: r419522 - in /incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/modules/nio: .classpath build.xml make/hyproperties.xml src/test/java/common/ src/test/java/common/org/ src/test/java/linux/ src/test/java/org/ src/test
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 09:53:53 GMT
On 7/24/06, Alexei Zakharov <alexei.zakharov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Vladimir,
>
> > Cons:
>
> > 1. More complex algorithms of grouping / selecting tests for execution:
> > harness (being it Junit, TestNG or my own script) must understand "word"
> > mark-up instead of just simple walking directories.
>
> BTW, after brief browsing of the JUnit 4.0 documentation I didn't find
> any extra *grouping* capabilities (comparing to JUnit 3.8.1). Only old
> TestSuites. Does anybody have more information about this?

I will take a look at JUnit 4.0 and TestNG as well.

> > 3. If test characteristics changed we should fix test file, instead of
> just
> > moving file, that is easier to track then changes.
>
> I don't think test characteristics (do you mean groups?) can be
> changed by itself. I mean Linux -specific test can't immediately
> become Windows-specific, it needs someone to update the code.

Right, I just mean that tracking file movement is easier then tracking what
changed in
source code. This in my opinion is minor, but still cons.

After discussing metadata vs. directory layout I want to compose our needs and
requirements to harness which would fit the needs and take a look at JUnit
4.0 vs. TestNG vs. these requirements.
 Thanks, Vladimir