harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrey Chernyshev" <a.y.chernys...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Method and format of java.util.concurrent proposal
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:44:05 GMT
> Nathan Beyer wrote:
> > I'm getting close to having the initial proposal for integrating the
> > java.util.concurrent code from Doug Lea's web site for Harmony's class
> > library complete and need a few questions answered.
>
> Can you give us a clue about what you are doing/thinking?
>
> I'm assuming that we will need some unsafe natives to support the
> existing concurrent impl.  We have some direct OS memory manipulation in
> LUNI, and some CAS in the MISC module, but we don't have VM-specific
> object manipulation yet (I'm interested in getting these in tho').

How about declaring the LockSupport and Atomics from drlvm [1] to be
the part of the kernel classes set? I guess these classes are likely
to be pretty much VM dependent.  Many of the required hooks to support
concurrent, in particular - atomic-based object manipulation, are
already implemented in these two classes, so at least we should be
able to run concurrent with drlvm.

Thanks,
Andrey.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg08779.html

> Regards,
> Tim
>
> > How should I submit it?
> > . Check in the code as the 'concurrent' module and go from there?
> > . Check in the code outside of the modules folder?
> > . Submit it as a JIRA issue?
> >
> > How should I format the code with regards to the copyright statements?
> >       For source that wasn't modified (about half of the files):
> >               . Add the ASF v2 comment before/after the public domain
> > comments?
> >               . Replace the public domain comment with the ASF v2 comment?
> >       For source that was modified:
> >               . Add the ASF v2 comment before/after the public domain
> > comments?
> >               . Replace the public domain comment with the ASF v2 comment?
> >
> > -Nathan

> --
>
> Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
> IBM Java technology centre, UK.