harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrey Chernyshev" <a.y.chernys...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] Removing classlib-related tasks from VM build (was Doing the minimum to support Java 5 classfiles)
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 11:03:31 GMT
On 7/5/06, Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zakirov@intel.com> wrote:
> Mark Hindess wrote:
> >  Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> >> Using the fixed classlib snapshot will remove one factor
> >> of uncertainty, and will make the DRLVM behaviour more reproducible.
> >
> > -1
> >
> > Doing this will hide issues that appear when changes to classlib breaks
> > drlvm.  At this stage in the project, I'd rather have such issues be as
> > visible as possible.  Such breakages should be relatively easy to fix
> > and any drlvm developer should be capable of rolling back classlib svn
> > until things are fixed if they get impatient.
> >
> > I don't see how it significantly affects reproducibility since it is
> > trivial to check/record the versions of classlib and drlvm svn when an
> > error occurs?
>
> I agree that recording revision numbers of both classlib and drlvm will be
> sufficient to reproduce the problem.
>
> The hard part is finding the "good" ones when the latest revisions
> do not work, in a case when someone wants to work on something different
> than fixing the latest breakages.
>
> I think that the reasonable compromise is to have both capabilities in the
> build system (build with classlib snapshot or with latest checkout), and
> leave it up to contributors to decide which way to use.

One more idea - we have a web page with the classlib snapshots over here:
http://people.apache.org/dist/incubator/harmony/snapshots/ with an
option of downloading the latest classlib snapshot, or a snapshot at a
fixed date.
By default, drlvm build could use just the latest one. This will allow
to catch the possible classlib/drlvm integration issues at the
frequency of creating build snapshots. On the other hand, in case the
latest classlib appears to be incompatible with vm, people can easily
change the link and use any of previous snapshots. How does that
sound?

Thanks,
Andrey.

Andrey Chernyshev