harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Blewitt" <alex.blew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: [rant] Memory options in VM -- why is the default not 'unlimited'
Date Sun, 30 Jul 2006 23:05:52 GMT
On 30/07/06, will pugh <willpugh@sourcelabs.com> wrote:
> Isn't Full GCs a big problem?  If have a bunch of pages in virtual
> memory, and need to do a full heap walk.  Won't you basically have an
> exercise in page faults?

Realistically, doesn't that happen for any full GC though, regardless
of how they're laid out? Even if the JVM requests a single large
contiguous space, it will still be treated as many pages by the OS,
and you'll get a similar amount of page faults. It doesn't matter what
virtual address space they're mapped into.

One of the suggestions I put forward elsewhere was having several
zones (one per classloader); the advantage would then be you could GC
each zone separately, and potentially at different intervals.

Alex.