harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Blewitt" <alex.blew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: [classlib] compatibility of toString
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2006 07:09:55 GMT

> Agree. But there are always exceptions. Some "toString" methods have to
> contain some key information as spec required, for example, the size or

Can you give examples of where the spec specifically mandates the
return values of either size or index?

> BTW, are these toString information (RI) copyrighted?

I don't believe they can be copyrighted. However, the only way to tell
if the RI and Harmony return the same results would be to execute both
and compare them, and I believe that such reverse engineering would be
outside the remit of Harmony. I doubt that the TCK would test for such
features exactly, without specifying them. For example, the
AbstractCollection and AbstractMap does specify what it should return:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/AbstractCollection.html#toString()
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/AbstractMap.html#toString()

I think you'd find it difficult to explain why (in all cases)
toString() returned exactly the same value as the RI without such
detailed comments as to their format :-)

Alex.