harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Tim Ellison" <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][html] Should we try to be binary compatible with Sun's bdtd?
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 09:32:02 GMT
On 25/07/06, Miguel Montes <miguel.montes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi:
> Working on the HTML parser, I found the following problem.
> The HTML parser can be parameterized by a DTD. The class
> javax.swing.text.html.parser.DTD has a method read(DataInputStream), that
> reads a DTD in binary format. AFAIK, there is no public specification of
> this format, and the recent contribution of the HTML component (HARMONY-948)
> seems to use its own binary format.
> Although I donĀ“t know if there are applications out there using this method
> to load custom DTDs, the method is public, so I think we should be
> compatible with Sun. That is, we should be able to read Sun's bdtd, and our
> bdtd should be readable by Sun's implementation.

I agree that it would be good to aim for interoperability here.

> Am i missing something? Does anyone know if there is a specification? Is it
> OK to reverse engineer the file "html32.bdtd"?

I don't know of a spec, if you don't find one after some searching it
may be something we want to go back and ask Sun.  I recommend that you
don't reverse engineer their implementation/format to figure it out.
In the meantime we shall have to remain incompatible.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)