harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Stack Overflow Error support issues
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 19:00:30 GMT
As I understand it, the value added by a broad check like this before the
compile starts may not be very high. At best, it can try to avoid SOE in
native code with a clean failure when it is certain that the stack state
will not permit completion of the compile. So something like 1/100 of the
stack as Mikhail mentions sounds reasonable, and the VM could do this. This
is something like a tuning activity and some experiments may also help.

It is also true that to offer real guarantees that overflow will not occur,
the JIT will need to consider this bound before making optimization
decisions or to limit recursion depth in algo selection. But this is a lot
to do proactively in the Jit, just to try to avoid SOE. My suggestion is
that we can consider doing these defensive checks in the Jit only if we want
to offer and honor some published reliability guarantees. This is a broader
topic and would need to include not only SOE, but several other failures
like ThreadAbort etc. that the user does not usually anticipate and are not
user code failures. Basically these are guarantees that if the user follows
some reasonable guidelines, certain portions of his code cannot fail. How
those guarantees can be exposed etc. ( eg., a method attributed with an
attribute "Reliable" that the Jit and VM support, or some command line flags
etc. ) is  a matter of design. We should defer this work unless SOE becomes
an issue with our apps of choice or this type of "reliable managed code" is
a design requirement in Harmony.

For now, it may be better to periodically check for the exception state on
the thread in line with Pavel's original design.

Thanks,
Rana