harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Stack Overflow Error support issues
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:41:59 GMT
Pavel,
   I tried the attached overflow test, and then applied the patch and
retried it. The patch looks good. A couple of comments:

   - I could not get the  unwind failure that you have mentioned (with
   the overflow happening in the first two lines) though I played around with
   the test, but that may depend on what the specific setup of the stack is at
   that point?
   - I noticed that on both Linux and Windows you preload the SOE class
   and precompile it. This may be OK.
   - But I also saw that you fail the JIT if you don't have 256 K of free
   stack space. The default Windows stack size is only 1 MB. Do we need to fail
   a compile of 10 lines of bytecode if we don't have 1/4 of the stack
   available? Maybe this can be less strict, or some heuristic based on method
   size? What do you think  about this?

   It would be nice if this patch could get committed, it is a good solution
for exceptions in Java code. For native code frames, we can continue the
work needed on top of this fix.

Thanks,
Rana