harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Stack Overflow Error support issues
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:20:18 GMT
On 28 Jul 2006 15:35:42 +0700, Egor Pasko <egor.pasko@gmail.com> wrote:
> On the 0x1B2 day of Apache Harmony Weldon Washburn wrote:
> > Stack Overflow Exception handling needs to be good enough for
> > commercial workloads.  This might be less than required for absolute
> > correctness.  The approach I would take at this time is to make stack
> > size and guard page size adjustable at the command line.  Then when we
> > suspect a stack overflow problem, bump up the stack and guard page
> > sizes substantially.  If the problem disappears, we might have an
> > interesting SOE case to study (and to guide what a reasonable JVM
> > should do.)  Otherwise, we are designing for the absolute worst case.
> > While this is ideal, it might not be required and could lead to all
> > sorts of other problems like unmaintainable code...
>
> It reminds me of one usecase, when a 'maybe-commercial' server running
> a JVM accepts deployments of JAR files and cannot predict what users
> deploy. So, not-to-crash on SOE is a matter of security for the
> server. And this is really important to eliminate this
> vulnerability. Readjusting stack size does not work here.
>
> What can we do to simplify things? I have no idea currently :(

All good points.  What all this leads to is a need for a top-level
development plan.  And what can help in the planning is a better
assessment of what needs to happen to fix SOE.  Four days ago Mikhail
Fursov mentioned that absolute correct JIT SOE handling is, "quite a
lot of changes".   Some questions we should be asking.  Will the
harmony JIT developers be able to handle this work as well as fixing
bugs and performance problems from bringing up new workloads,
implementing new fuctionality to support java 1.5 and
incremental/concurrent garbage collectors, etc.   Also, which projects
can JIT SOE support be done in parallel with?

> --
> Egor Pasko, Intel Managed Runtime Division

Weldon Washburn
Intel Middleware Products Division