harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: [DRLVM] GC heap verification infrastructure
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:07:12 GMT
On 7/18/06, Volynets, Vera <vera.volynets@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I didn't find any bugs in gc_v4 at the moment,

Vera, its good to know the verifier found zero bugs in GCV4!

> but this feature is really very useful especially if
> you modify gc_v4 or design a new gc. Of course, it needs to
> be improved and developed.

This brings up a good point.  Harmony-dev needs to discuss the roadmap
for DRLVM GC.  I will start a discussion thread shortly.

> Also I'm going to add feature to verify write barriers work.

Some comments.

1)
There is no DRLVM GC that uses a write barrier currently.  Assuming
you have a write barrier verifier, how will you know it works?

2)
I would like to see the design of the write barrier verifier discussed
on harmony-dev mailing list before implementation is started.  I am
interested in using the proposed write verifier on DRLVM/MMTk.

> The same way as in GC heap verification I use idea to
> hijack interface function concerning write barriers.
>
> This patch will be sent a bit later.
>
> Pleased to hear from you, Vera :)!

Weldon Washburn
Intel Middleware Products Division