harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM] build fixes that allow normal single step debug of the Jitrino.JET write barrier patch
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 02:07:46 GMT
> Weldon,
>  Thanks. If jitrino building in debug mode was switched off to not make it
> crawl, is it an option to not apply these mods, but just leave this thread
> as a reference for people who need this?

Yes, of course.  These mods are most relevant to debugging the write
barrier, vmmagic, inlined object allocation kinds of functions.  Once
they are up and going, we probably won't use these build options.

>  I am somehow being able to debug just fine with devenv ( but I don't use
> jitrino symbols ) without any change to common_vm.xml.

This is good.  Given a stable JIT, debugging VM code is basically
orthogonal to the compiler.  It is only stuff like stepping through
write  barrier generation and vmmagic where jitrino symbols come in
handy.  The rest of the time it makes sense to build the JIT in full
optimize mode and the rest of DRLVM in debug mode when debugging VM
code.

> Thanks,
> Rana

Weldon Washburn