harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm/mmtk] jitrino.jet write barrier initial implementaion
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 14:14:44 GMT
On 7/10/06, Ivan Volosyuk <ivan.volosyuk@gmail.com> wrote:
> One question, why do we need write barriers for 'putstatic' bytecode?
> This fields appear in root set and does not represent heap to heap
> references. There is no need to add write barriers to this entities.

Good question.  The short answer is because MMTk makes zero
assumptions about the VM automatically enumerating all the static
locations holding ref ptrs.   DRLVM makes the assumption that statics
will be part of the root set.  We really don't have hard data at this
point to show us the best approach yet.   I vote for leaving it in for
now. This is really the kind of GC/VM integration issue I expect the
MMTk port force us to deal with.