harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew Zhang" <zhanghuang...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][nio-charset] RI is inconsistent with spec when loading charset provider
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 01:48:38 GMT

> On 7/31/06, Andrew Zhang <zhanghuangzhu@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Shall we follow RI or spec? I'd like to suggest follow RI for this
> > specific
> > case, because:
> >
> > 1. If we follow spec, it may cause legacy applications fail.
>

> I do not think that fixing this bug will affect legacy applications badly,
> because we will add new functionality that is turned on by special
> configuration files. Old functionality will not be affected.

Even with our special configuration, Harmony still behaves differently from
RI, right?

For some case, RI could load user specified configuration file while harmony
could not, and vice versa.

So I think legacy applications will be affected if they assume system class
loader is used. :)

2. Other service provider in nio module are all loaded by system class
> > loader.
> >
> > Any suggestions and comments?
>

> This bug is 4 years old. One or two years more and it will become a
> 'feature'
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4619777
>
> Anyway, I vote to follow spec but not RI :) (AFAIK as classpath did)

I tried to run the test against sun 6.0 pre-rc-b65. The result is the same.

Seems SUN doesn't take any action on this problem. As you mentioned, it's
already 4 years, and is not solved in jdk6. :(

So I still think we should follow RI this time. :)

Thanks!

--
Andrew Zhang
China Software Development Lab, IBM