harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew Zhang" <zhanghuang...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [testing] locale dependent tests
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:46:37 GMT
On 7/19/06, Richard Liang <richard.liangyx@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tim Ellison wrote:
> > Richard Liang wrote:
> >
> >> Although the spec does not require the round-trip of applyPattern and
> >> toPattern, we still want to get one *certain* pattern through
> toPattern.
> >> Now the problem is the returned pattern is locale-dependent. I'm
> >> uncertain about the reason to remove the assertion:
> >> 1) Because the behavior is not required by spec, or
> >> 2) Because the behavior is locale-dependent
> >>

> > It would seem that rather than forcing the locale to be en_US to make
> > the test assertions valid, you could work with the default locale and
> > guard any assertions that are locale-specific.  It would seem a shame to
> > loose the diversity of testing on multiple locale machines if the tests
> > always force everyone to look like an American (horror! ;-) )
> >
> > I would expect the fix therefore to be something like, if locale is
> > en_US go ahead and assert more round-tripping code, otherwise can't test
> > it as the spec allows variances.
> >

> If a test case passes in all locales, could we think that the behavior
> tested by the test case is locale-independent? We still have to think
> about how to test locale-dependent behavior. For example,
> java.util.Locale.getDisplayName() and java.lang.String.toUpperCase(). To
> verify both the code logic and locale data, shall we have some tests
> like ABC_en_US_Test, ABC_en_UK_Test, and ABC_ru_RU_Test?

Hi Richard,
For getDisplayName, getDisplayLanguage() and methods like so, which are
locale-dependent, I suggest we write implementation tests for them. The test
may look like:
1. get default locale
2. get i18n string from ResourceBundle directly
3. get i18n string by locale-dependent method
4. assertEquals

Sounds reasonable?

Any comments? Thank you!

Best regards,