harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zaki...@Intel.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] string interning in java
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:17:11 GMT
Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> The attached patches implement different approach to the interning strings.
> To make interned string pool garbage collectable, I used WeakHashMap.

Additional information that I think might be of interest.

The java implementation of interning changed the order
of static initializers execution during startup.
(I've run the DRLVM debug configuration with -Xtrace:class.init flags)
Before the change, the classes were initialized in order

java/lang/Thread
java/lang/System
java/io/FileDescriptor
org/apache/harmony/luni/platform/Platform
java/util/HashMap
java/lang/String
java/lang/System
java/util/HashMap
java/lang/ClassLoader
java/lang/VMExecutionEngine

and with the pure java interning, the new order is

org/apache/harmony/kernel/vm/VM
java/lang/String
java/lang/Thread
java/lang/System
java/io/FileDescriptor
org/apache/harmony/luni/platform/Platform
java/util/HashMap
java/lang/System
java/util/HashMap
java/lang/ClassLoader

I do not know for sure if this is important or not,
but want to let more smart people to know and spot potential problems if there are any.

The smoke tests pass with the change, and Eclipse on DRLVM behaviour
is exactly the same as before the change (not to say it works perfectly, but
the error dialog boxes look the same :)
--
Salikh Zakirov, Intel Middleware Products Division