harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib]strings externalization
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:06:03 GMT
Ilya Okomin wrote:
> I share your point of view about Exceptions without description, it
> isn't user friendly. But I think it will be another sort of 'manual'
> scan :) There is a need to waste time to analyze surrounding code to
> provide appropriate message, a bit another sort of work, isn't it? I
> think the best way would be if all these Exceptions without info are
> being identified before externalization process is to be ran. For
> today I'd better postpone the task of initialization 'empty'
> exceptions until the externalization is finished.

Sure, I agree that it is a different problem, so have no problem dealing
with it separately.

> I've implemented a small tool that generates Message source and
> MsgHelp source into a desired module. Tool gets a list of modules
> names from property file (you can specify modules class sources to
> generate for), then we run over the list and special word '<module>'
> in Message and MsgHelp source templates files replaced with the
> specified module name.

Cool.  You may find it easy to do this using Ant's replace task [1].

[1] http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/replace.html

> Resulting sources are copied to the o/a/h/<module>/internal/
> directory. At first I planned to use MsgHelp class from luni but
> after a while I've decided to avoid dependency on luni module and
> included generation source file of this class to every module.

I agree, if you are going to do the template then you might as well
duplicate the MsgHelp behavior across the modules.  In fact, don't feel
obliged to maintain the separation of Message and MsgHelp, you may find
that it makes sense to combine them now.  Your choice.

> Thus Message or MsgHelp source files can be easy regenerated for a
> desired set of modules, if anything is changed there. I plan to add
> creation of a new empty messages.properties files with copyright
> heading if it is absent for the module.

Extra credit for that ;-)

> Also I think that it make sense to changle location to
> o/a/h/<module>/internal/nls.

Agreed.

> Will provide patch with this tool when these changes are to be
> implemented and checked.

I'll look forward to seeing it.  Thanks Ilya!

Regards,
Tim